Friday, February 8, 2013

Carpet vs Hardwood Floors and Quick Spot Cleaning

Personal opinion here on this topic. It has crossed my mind several times and I just wanted to share some of my thoughts with you on it.

When I was having my house built for me, I paid for a big upgrade for extra thick padding and nicer carpet. I wanted to just walk into my house and feel my feet sink down into the carpet! Nice image yes?
Now if I were to really think about it, I would realize that this is pretty difficult to make happen as most carpet does have a firm woven material under the fibers. Yes, alot has to do with the padding but then would I really want my feet to sink down like they do in soft sand or when standing on a foam eggshell mat for a bed? Well that was sort of what was in my mind anyway.

So I chose the thickest padding that I thought was reasonable and they even let me try it out in the design studio and it felt nice. I chose a nice beige/cream carpet so that it would match everything and I knew this was not to be my dream home and that I would want to sell it one day.

What I didn't know was that I was going to end up with not just one, two or three, but yes folks, five cats!! Holy smokes! I am becoming the crazy cat lady! It was surely not intentional but you know how you have a beautiful daughter who gives you those eyes and so you say yes to her having a cat too and then you always wanted a grey tiger striped so you just get one more but while there at the pet store, the evil ladies from the cat shelter, pull out a tiny tawty persian kitten that looks like Gizmo from The Gremlins and hands it to you as it snuggles into your throat and you know you can't put her down so yup, now you are up to 4. Then the oldest orange one dies and you think that's it but then after a year, you really do miss your lovie orange one that used to snuggle and give you kisses like none of the others do so you hunt around and find a 5 week old kitten and of course, you can't just get him alone and be the only kitten so you have to get his litter mate and there you have it, you end up with 5!! Now one relief is that my daughter is going to take 2 of them when she moves out after high school. So I'll be down to 3 happily. :)

Anyway, I digress....

Carpet or hardwood floors...well when you have had cats or any animals, even a dog, you quickly realize that carpet is not such a good choice. Cats tend to throw up, hairballs, too much food...if ill, they could have accidents on your carpet! YIKES! Dogs are much the same really, except for them, they may pee wherever they are simply cause they are overexcited to see you.

Over time, your carpet fibers that once looked so nice, get matted down from walking across that same spot over and over again. If anyone's kids or your own or even yourself or an adult spills something on it, it's down the fibers it goes to the mat and you may have a carpet steamer but it may not always get it out.

Probably the only way to really and truly clean it properly, is to have someone come in and do so professionally.

I have been able to find a nice little handy carpet cleaning machine and it really does work well! It's the Bissell Little Green Pet cleaner:
I adore this thing! It really is easy to use and to keep clean! :) It has helped me alot in cleaning spots on my carpet whether it was the kids spilling soda or a cat gakking up a hairball. But I am still worried over my poor carpet mat underneath.
 
 
So after several years, I have definitely learned that it is much better to have a hardwood floor if you are going to have animals. It will definitely make things more hypo-allergenic since the carpet can hold dust and all sorts of things you can't see whereas the hardwood floors will get dusty too but I would see it more and thereby clean it with a nice Murphy's Oil Soap. :)
 
 
If I want carpet in the future, I'll be using those throw rugs, oriental carpets, ones you can either clean or replace. Yes, I won't be able to sink down into it, but I never really could with the carpets and if I want to do that, I'll just get some nice cushy slippers! :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment