Monday, March 5, 2018

A Shocking Turn of Events

So of all things to happen, my work let me go without warning, no notice. Just done. Nothing I did they said but they decided they wanted to have the all positions moved to the inner offices and not have any independent contractors like I was. Later, I had a call from the VP who let it slip out that what had really happened was that I was making more money than the upper management and so they were a bit tweaked about it and enough to where they decided to get rid of me after 15 years.
Nice thank you after taking their sales from $50k a year to 3.2 million. The first million made, all on my own a few years ago and only increased from there on out with me training others to continue. Not to mention I was positioning to help them set up Canada and Europe, Asia, the WORLD!
Aye well...it was difficult because they treated me like an employee but yet I was not. They had a hard time with the money I was being paid. It was the most I had ever seen in my life, so far.  But it was nasty how they let me go. Sneaky, backstabbing, lying. It was bad. I maintained my integrity however as that is who I am. But I didn't appreciate it, not even saying or putting out an email saying I was no longer with the company. Nada. Pretty cold after all I did. Small pittance of a severance and a pat on the head and swift boot to the bum.

Of course their sales went down....and they went on a hiring spree, go figure that. Sadly however, their reputation was already in the toilet and it was getting worse.
Frankly, it had become very difficult to continue to work for them. The money was nice of course, awesome, but the job itself was boring and a cure for insomnia. There was a lot of shady things going on, sad things, and to me, I felt they had lost sight as to why the company had been created, to help people. It felt like it had all become about the almighty dollar to me. Plus there were a couple people who I was stuck workin with that were constantly trying to blow out others' candles in order for their own to burn brighter. So much for their motto of 'together we always win'. That was not the case.

I have been asked by friends if I would ever go back. No. I couldn't go back after how I was treated. The money would never be the same I am sure and nah. I felt so freed afterwards. Like a burden or heavy weight had been lifted up off my shoulders. It was hard at first, the bitterness over the shabby treatment coupled with the shock of 15 years of loyalty being flushed. It hurt.

I wasted no time however and quickly put together a great resume with the help of a good friend and got it out there. It appeared for all of my credentials and skills however it hurt me that I had let my certification go for the medical assistant degree and that I had been working from home for 15 years. Nevermind the sales or what I had accomplished for this prior company. Being out here in the deep woods of Maine, a state where the economy is not too good and that I am far from most towns, it made things difficult.

Before I was let go, oddly enough, I had joined an essential oil company, doTERRA. I had planned to purchase the essential oils at wholesale prices and make things with them and then open an Etsy shop and sell different items on the side along with Halloween props and who knows what all. Toss whatever I made up against the wall and see what sticks or sells best. I knew I wanted to eventually set myself up for something I could do in my retirement.

But, as I was contacted by the lady I had joined up under, my whole world opened up and I decided to begin to sell doTERRA essential oils as a Wellness Advocate. Ever since, I have been learning a great deal about essential oils and the benefits thereof. It's been an amazing journey thus far! (This warrants a blog post of it's own!)

Sadly, the severance pay however from the last company did not last long.

I had written to the CEO of Home Depot to let him know about what had happened here with the renovations, the whole fiasco with the bathroom and floors. He ended up authorizing a check for 4k more in return what had happened but of course that did not last too long either.

The bills were too much. It was getting on towards autumn and winter was around the corner, there was fuel to get. What could we do? Resume was sent out dozens of times but no. Even went to a job fair, no.

Many places were too far away and did not pay enough. There was of course no way that any could pay me what I had been making before. And then, doTERRA will take a while to build.

Eventually however, I -could- make as much if not more with doTERRA, but being that most of my friends are scattered around the world and not in my local community, as I just moved here and didn't know that many people, it would prove to be more of a challenge for me.

There was no other choice but to file bankruptcy. (to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment