Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Remodeling Bathrooms

As we had an approved Project Loan with Home Depot with a 7% interest rate, I saved it to use for both of the bathrooms. I figured we could get both of them done with the 20k that was approved. So started the ardurous task of picking everything out, including the grout color! It was insane and took up a lot of time even with me being as decisive as I am.

I realized what we were looking to do, was even more extensive than having the house built for us in Texas was. Changing things around took a lot more thought and strategy and planning than the whole house.

One thing Breakwater recommended was for us to get our own electrician and plumber, someone local for both of those trades. I already was planning on that anyway what with the inspection report we had done before purchasing the house. Breakwater said that it would be cheaper and easier if we used our own guys. Made sense to me.

So we picked out everything for both bathrooms only to realize it was really just the 2nd floor bathroom we HAD to get done before the floors were installed. The reason being is that with the 1st floor bath, we did not have to worry about getting to the plumbing to move it around as we had a full basement with a drop ceiling and so could easily get to it. So all attention was placed on the 2nd floor bath.

I then had to wait for HD to send it to Breakwater to get an estimate. Days go by and then I get a call from HD saying I needed to go down and pick something else out, so off I'd trek to HD an hour away to pick out whatever I needed. Then Breakwater would call me and tell me the whole design of the bathroom shower probably won't work because of this or that so I have to redesign it over the phone with her. Then I get a call from HD that I have to explain to her what we did and it just went around and around like this for weeks. WEEKS! I was not happy. All we needed was a 3 way conversation and we'd have it done. I am very decisive, it doesn't take long, I am not that picky, I just need it done at this point. Finally tho', we get everything, HD sends it to Breakwater and we then again have to wait for them to send over an estimate.

After it was all said and done, the final cost was over $29,000!! Holy smokes! We had to apply for the project loan to be larger and that was approved. But that was for just one bathroom! WOW! I thought I could get both done for that amount and actually less! It was a huge awakening, rude one at that. But, knowing we didn't have the money to put out at all for the renovation so the thought of being able to finance it all and at just 7%, was really enticing. It was still overpriced. We were able to whittle it to 28k but that wasn't that much better. But after all the trouble we had gone thru already, we decided to go ahead with it, as crazy as that is but we were wanting it done right and professionally.

They had told us that they could not set up an install date however until I had received the cabinets and I would have to inspect them all. If everything was as it should be, I was to either email them or call them and let them know and then we could set a date. This didn't happen.

Meanwhile, we have moved 3 trucks up here from Delaware, all of our stuff, packed into the 5 bay car garage, beds crammed into the house, the queen in the living room! Clutter everywhere. We have been living in this mess and limbo since June 6th and it's now August 2nd! Almost 2 months waiting for them to get their act together.

Luckily, Breakwater did NOT wait for the cabinets to come. Good thing as they STILL have not arrived yet. So Breakwater started a couple weeks ago. Finally. They started to tile the shower yesterday.

Now, the workers are awesome. I can't complain. Not one bit. They are amazing.
The owners however? I am not happy. See next blog post on "The Importance of Getting Your Own Tradesman".

No comments:

Post a Comment